This is a tutorial on how I take normal images and make them 16 color dithered images. Setting it up is surprisingly annoying but once you've set it up it is easy as pie.
By which I mean I've done the hard work for you of figuring out how I needed to export the swatch and the physical process of making the swatch and now you can be lazy and load it in.
- Download 16CGA.act from the File Repository.
- In Photoshop go to "Save for Web and Devices" - that's what it's called in CS5 and CS6. I think this is one of the older features but your milage may vary on the name.
- Now use the following export settings...
- Pattern (you may play with this option)
- Turn off transparency for authenticity.
- Convert to sRGB can be left off (it will not make a difference in the end)
- The preview does not matter, though Internet Standard RGB is probably the most useful.
- Include any metadata you like.
- For the color table click the little lines... the "blnds" and choose "Load color Table"
- Load the color table you downloaded in step 1
- You can manually set the colors to 16 if you wish but I like to keep the colors lower if the image will allow for it to save space.